Get the App. Get the Map.
Avenza Maps Features
Avenza Maps has navigation and mapping features that help you plan and enjoy outdoor adventures in remote areas, even without internet or network connections. Start by finding a map in the Avenza Map Store then let the adventure begin!
FIND MAPS IN THE AVENZA MAPS STORE
It all starts with downloading a map from the Avenza Maps Store - a collection of nearly 1 million professionally created, high-quality, offline maps. Browse or search for your map from within the app, or online. All maps are location-aware and are ready to be used on your next 'off the grid' adventure.
LOCATE YOURSELF ON A MAP
Find your location on a map even without WiFi or network connectivity. Maps downloaded from the Avenza Map Store are georeferenced, which means that the GPS on your mobile device can use your location to pinpoint you on the map with a blue dot, and the dot follows you as you go. You can also upload a limited number of your own georeferenced maps using the free version of the app.
FIND YOUR COORDINATES
See the exact GPS coordinates of your location at any time, so you can report your location if you need help, or to accurately locate points of interest. You can also search for specific coordinates on the map, and toggle between coordinate systems.
WHAT3WORDS - THE THREE WORD DISPLAY FORMAT
what3words is live in Avenza Maps and has given every 3m square in the world a unique 3 word address, making it easier for people to communicate precise locations. With the new what3words feature you can set accurate waypoints, plot your favourite points along hiking trails or cycling routes and identify your own location - using just three words.
NAVIGATE TO A DESTINATION
Choose a point on the map to see the distance, heading and time to reach it from your current location. Draw a route or use an existing track and navigate to the end, or to vertices on the path, then reverse directions to find your way home.
STAY IN OR OUT OF MAP AREAS
Create a geofence around a specific location, track or area and get notified when you approach or move away from it. Use this feature to ensure that you stay on the trail or stay out of dangerous areas.
MARK PLACES OF INTEREST WITH A PIN
Drop a placemark on the map at locations you've visited or want to visit. Mark the location of objects, hazards or anything else that you want to remember. Edit the color of your placemarks and label them for easy reading.
RECORD GPS TRACKS
Record the path of your trip as you travel across the map enabling GPS tracks. Save tracks on your map and edit the properties including changing the colour and title. Multiple tracks can be stores as layers on a map.
DISCOVER DETAILS OF YOUR TRIP
View the details of a recorded GPS track including distance traveled, total time, average speed, and elevation changes.
MEASURE DISTANCES BETWEEN POINTS
What's the distance to that next peak? Use the Measure Distance tool to draw your route and calculate how far you need to travel.
PLOT GEOTAGGED PHOTOS ON A MAP
Captured a photo of something interesting and wanted to plot it on your map? Simply add the geotagged photo and a placemark will drop in the correct location on your map. It couldn't be any easier.
SEARCH FOR PLACES
Conveniently search for points of interest on any map. Places are based on search engine results. Save places as placemarks that can be visible or hidden as needed.
ORGANIZE FEATURES WITH LAYERS
Map features such as placemarks and GPS tracks are recorded on separate layers for easy viewing on the map. Hide or surface the layers as necessary to see what you need to see without a lot of clutter of overlap. Layers can also be used to export map features to use on a different map, or to share with another Avenza Maps user.
ORGANIZE MAPS WITH FOLDERS AND COLLECTIONS
Group similar maps together for easy access and viewing using folders on the My Maps screen in the app. Create collections of adjacent, or overlapping maps to view your location at different scales, and reference points.
IMPORTING UNLIMITED MAPS
Download your maps over a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Avenza Maps® Pro allows unlimited imports of geospatial PDF, GeoTIFF, GeoPDF®, and JPG (with appropriate reference files). The beauty is that you can access these maps even when you're offline.
SHAPEFILE AND AREA SUPPORT
Add shape files directly to your map to work with points, lines, and areas. Use the Draw and Measure tool to create areas and export to shape file when ready to share.
COLLECTING DATA ON MAPS
Easily record attributes at any placemark or track. Add custom fields, insert field values, modify location, change color and add notes and geotagged photos. Easily convert your collected GPS Tracks into an area (requires Pro subscription and is for iOS and Android only).
GET A BETTER FIX
GPS averaging allows you to improve the accuracy of your location by averaging multiple GPS fixes over time. Monitor the individual points as they are collected and choose to plot the average location.
IMPORTING AND EXPORTING DATA
Took all that time to carefully plot placemarks, create tracks, measure areas, and collect data in the field? Save them as KML, CSV or GPX format and export to iTunes, send as an e-mail or sync with Dropbox. Alternatively, import a KML files to place placemarks on your map.
USING CUSTOM SYMBOL SETS
Import and manage custom symbol sets to use with your maps. Set default symbols to be used on layers while collecting data.
Easily manage deployment to your team using our subscription management system. No need to have physical access to devices to check status of subscriptions and renewals. Enable and disable subscriptions from one location.
FEATURES IN DETAIL
- Import maps in a variety of formats including geospatial PDF, GeoTIFF, and GeoPDF® maps, JPG with JGW and WKT (zipped), and TIFF with TFW and WKT (zipped)
- Browse, preview, purchase and download professionally created maps from the Avenza Map Store, including USGS topographic maps for the entire United States, recreation maps, NOAA nautical maps, and maps from National Geographic.
- Access and load maps through iTunes File Sharing, Android file system, or over a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Saved maps can be used without the need for a live network connection (offline).
- Quickly view, zoom and pan maps using gestures (pinch, drag and flick, double tap)
- View your location on a map using the built-in GPS device (requires compatible iOS and Android device)
- Plot placemarks, change pin colors, position and label names, enter attribute data and notes
- Track real-time movement with GPS (includes speed and elevation statistics) then save, export tracks (as KML)
- Convert GPS tracks to area (requires Pro subscription)
- Use the compass to view true or magnetic north
- Measure distances - save measurements to line data with the ability to import and export lines (as KML)
- Draw areas using "point by point" and "course and distance" modes - export lines and areas as KML (or SHP with Pro subscription)
- Save placemarks and quickly navigate to placemarks from a list view. Save associated placemark attribute data as KML, CSV, or GPX files and export to iTunes (iOS only), save to SD card (Android only), e-mail or sync with Dropbox.
- Import placemarks (in KML/KMZ format) from SD card (Android), Dropbox or the web.
- Display coordinates in a number of systems including Lat/Long (WGS84), Lat/Long (Map Default), Northing/Easting, or Military Grid Reference System (MGRS)/United States National Grid (USNG)
- Easily find the coordinates of any location in the map; including the ability to type in a coordinate to search.
- View the coordinates of your current position and of any placemark and open it in Apple Maps or Google Maps
- Search for points of interest on any map. Places are based on search engine results. Save places as placemarks that can be visible or hidden as required.
- Optionally render a map in higher resolution (iOS)