Discovered in 1846, the mine was opened by the Baravore Mining Company and worked by levels driven into the hillside. The surface machinery was powered by waterwheels. In 1851 nearly 300 people lived in a small village built by the company. Taken over by the Barravore Silver-Lead Mining Company, the mine was not a success and closed in 1861 having produced less than 60 tons of lead. Two crusher houses of national archaeological importance survive.
Vendor: Glens of Lead
Size: 1.1 MB
Maps purchased here can only be viewed in the Avenza Maps app on iOS and Android.
Get the app. Get the map. ®