GEOINT App Store Shutdown and Continuing Access to Avenza Maps
Update (January 2022): Avenza Maps: Rugged Apps Edition is now available. In partnership with SAIC Rugged AppsTM, Avenza Maps®: RA Edition has been fortified to be National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) compliant, shielding against constantly evolving cyber threats and providing government and commercial customers with a highly-secured mobile mapping app to complete missions every day. Learn more about Avenza Maps: RA Edition.
As of August 27th, 2021, the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) closed the Innovative GEOINT Application Provider Program (IGAPP), and the GEOINT App Store is no longer providing access to commercial apps, including Avenza Maps.
Not only does this mean that availability and distribution of secure iOS and Android apps under the program has ceased but that apps that have already been downloaded and are already deployed to devices may no longer function and those that may still be functioning will eventually stop. Additionally, it is very likely that access to all maps and other content in the Avenza Maps app will become lost and irretrievable.
Our goal at Avenza is to keep Avenza Maps users, who have acquired their version of Avenza Maps via NGA, supported, active, functioning, productive and safe, as far as our capabilities will allow us. While we cannot reverse NGA’s decision to close the program and turn apps off nor can we intercede and turn apps back on, we can offer the following guidance and remedies.
If your instance of Avenza Maps is still working:
- We recommend that you export your data and maps immediately.
- DO NOT open the Avenza Maps app while connected to the Internet. The app will periodically attempt to contact the NGA GEOINT license server for re-authentication and when it fails the app will shut down. By not going online the app will continue to function in offline mode by design and use the previous license authentication.
If your instance of Avenza Maps has stopped working:
- Aligning with our goal of keeping users supported, active, functioning, productive and safe we are providing qualified GEOINT version users with complimentary Avenza Maps Pro licenses (for the regular civilian version) for a limited period of time, while the new and improved Secure Mobile App Program (SMAP) is being unfurled (see below).
- If you wish to obtain a complimentary subscription to the civilian version of Avenza Maps Pro please complete the secure form below, and note as follows:
- You will need to download Avenza Maps from iTunes or Google Play in order to use Avenza Maps Pro. This will not reactivate the version downloaded from the GEOINT App Store. DO NOT DELETE THE GEOINT VERSION FROM YOUR DEVICE.
- This is the standard civilian version of Avenza Maps Pro and as such has not been scanned pursuant to National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) protocols. However both versions of Avenza Maps (civilian and GEOINT) are produced by the same developers, in the same facilities and under the same governances and oversight, and 97% of the code is the same.
- Unlike the GEOINT version, the civilian version does not include free access to paid content from the in-app map store. Nor does it have access to the GEOINT-only partition within the in-app map store that houses special GEOINT-only content.
- In order for us to continue to support you and provide access to the civilian version of Avenza Maps, we will need to collect some very basic and limited information pursuant to the secure form below.
Avenza Maps: Rugged Apps Edition is now available
In partnership with SAIC Rugged AppsTM, Avenza Maps®: RA Edition has been fortified to be National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) compliant, shielding against constantly evolving cyber threats and providing government and commercial customers with a highly-secured mobile mapping app to complete missions every day. Learn more about Avenza Maps: RA Edition.
To purchase a subscription of Avenza Maps: Rugged Apps Edition, visit our order page.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, contact us here.